Torrington Connecticut Area Parkinsons Support Group
The Torrington Area Parkinsons Support Group recently organized to fill a local need for new information on and solutions related to Parkinson's disease. Our meetings are held every fourth Saturday of each month at 10:00 AM at the Sullivan Senior Center located in Torrington. (check our calendar)
Meetings include speakers from health care professions and local support services organizations, as well as separate group sessions for both the caregiver and caretaker.
Our Northwestern Connecticut area parkinsons support group meetings are open to those who have Parkinsons disease, their caregivers, their family and friends, and other interested parties.
For more information contact Marion Muschell at 860-489-4378 or Carol Pathe at 860-482-4610
SUPPORT GROUP NEWS
Please see the attachment for more information, and register soon to ensure a spot. Medtronic is our primary sponsor for this event. Because of their generosity and that of our other sponsors, there is no charge to participants. The event will take place on July 16 at the University of St. Joseph in West Hartford. 9-3:30. It will be a valuable learning experience for all.
It would be most helpful if everyone planned to arrive at 9:55 so that we can be seated and ready to begin at 10. (I can dream, can't I?)
WALK IN THE WOODS FOR PARKINSONS
Registration begins at noon. Bring a picnic for the family before or after the walk.
FREE T-SHIRT IF PRE-REGISTERED BY SEPT 2, 2016
CREATE A TEAM :
You need to create an account, once created it will automatically redirect you to the team creation page.
1) First click here to create an account
3) It will automatically load the page for creating your team
If you have created your account, and you want to come back later to create your team, then CLICK HERE to login and create your team.
JOIN A TEAM
Go to the team listings page and select a team to join. Just follow the prompts. No account is needed. To join an existing team, CLICK HERE to find your team and click on the join team button. Minimum donation is $20.00 and you get a free t-shirt.
Joe Pathe is associated with the Veterans' Office in Torrington. The veterans often receive used medical equipment which one of the men refurbishes. The veterans group has decided to share their stock with our Parkinson's support group. Should you have a need for medical equipment, you may call Joe Pathe at 860-482-4610.
Did You Know?
- Every 9 minutes an individual is diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease
- 1 in 10 people will have Parkinson's
- There is no “definitive test” that can confirm Parkinson's disease, except after death
- Parkinson's is not just your "grandparent's" disease or for "old" people
- Currently there is "no cure" for Parkinson's
- Medication can substitute for the missing dopamine, but it is only a temporary solution
- There are 60,000 new cases of Parkinson's Disease a year
- The total cost to the nation is estimated to exceed $6 Billion annually
- Without more federal funding for research to find a cure for Parkinson's, the numbers of Parkinson patients will only increase each year
Torrington Connecticut Area Parkinsons Support Group is sponsored by the Sullivan Senior Center, Charlotte Hungerford Hospital and the Connecticut American Parkinsons Disease Association.